Wine glass charms are small decorations, much like charms on a bracelet, made to fit around the stems of your wine glasses. They serve several purposes. They can help round out a theme, such as a wedding shower or themed party, and while allows guests to keep up with their glass in case they set it down and walk away. As long as your guest remembers which charm he had, he can easily tell his glass from another.
Choosing Wine Charms
Wine charms come in a variety of styles, materials, and price ranges. You can find wine glass charms almost everywhere, from wine stores to department stores. However, if you want the largest selection spend a few hours looking online for the best selection and deals.
Inexpensive Wine Charms
The least expensive charms are made of cylindrical pieces of paper with a slice through one side to the center. They usually are decorated with grape designs or some other wine theme. The ring slips around the stem of the glass. You write the guests names on the little disc. At large parties, such as weddings, these discs are a low-cost item that can save on the number of glasses you need. If someone loses a glass at a large gathering and they can't tell which one is theirs, they often get a new one. This means you have to have enough glasses to handle extras or take time to wash. It also wastes wine, since there are a bunch of half full abandoned glasses sitting around.
Another use for these paper charms is using them during wine tastings. Just label each glass with the vintage and other important information.
Find these charm tags at online sites such as:
- Wine Compliments sells inexpensive paper charms at just $5 for a pack. Packs contain 20-25 charm tags. You can chose from designs such as grapevines, fall leaves, wine bottles, snowmen, Santa, golf, phrases and even classic white.
- Wine Country Occasions features wine glass tags in motifs such as grapes. Each package includes a total of 25 tags and cost under $5. This site also carries wine tasting tags with a grapevine design.
Themed Wine Glass Charms
Charms that are in the affordable but not cheap category are the light, colored stamped metal charms. These are often stamped into fanciful themed shape. The themes can be anything from flowers to sports. Themed charms are attached to a small ring with an opening in it. The opening allows the ring to fit around the stem of the wine glass and the charm dangles on the base. You can also find wine charms that are decorated with beads and other accents.
There are many themed charms to check out and add to your collection.
Sterling Wine features a large selection of charm sets priced around $20 in fun themes such as:
- Holidays, including Christmas
- Memo board charms where you can write on the charm with a special marker
- Travel themed
- Wine lovers
If you prefer a bit of luxury, you may want to consider a wine charm done in pewter. These charms are made like the stamped metal charms, except they tend to be more molded and have more details.
For those looking for something special, consider the following pewter options:
- These Fleur de Lis charms are found at Bed, Bath and Beyond. These charms feature a different colored stone to distinguish glasses from one another and come in a set of six. Priced around $20, they add a touch of French elegance to any gathering.
- Sears sells a 12 piece Pewter Wine Glass Charm Set. This set contains a land and sea design featuring charms such as a starfish, crab, dolphin and other animals.
Make Your Own Charms
Making your own charms allows you to have the most unique glass jewelry available anywhere. They are not difficult at all and take very little time. In fact, if your party is on the casual side you can buy the materials and allow your friends to make their own to use and then take home as party favors. You should be able to find the materials at any craft store. There are also kits that you can purchase that contain all the supplies you need to make your own set of charms.
How to Make Wine Charms
You will need:
- One inch hoops with a slit, these are often found as earrings
- Beads in a variety of colors
- Small charms
- Other decorations
To make the charms:
- Arrange the beads and charms on the wire hoops.
- Create an open hook on each end of the hoop.
- Hook the two open hooks together to make a complete circle around the glass and hold the beads on.
Keep It Fun
The charms can add a bit of fun and whimsy to your next party, no matter how elegant or casual it is. Delight your guests with their names or a symbol of their hobby on the wine charms to keep your parties cutting edge.