The Wilson Creek Winery Temecula is located 35960 Rancho California Road in Temecula, California.
Wilson Creek Winery Temecula History
The Wilson Creek winery is truly a family owned and operated winery. With dreams of wanting to run a family business that was warm, fun and inviting, in 1996, the Wilson family purchased a winery in Temecula, California. At the time of the purchase, Rosie and Gerry Wilson knew nothing about the wine making process, unless you count the times when they tried their hand at making dandelion and rhubarb wine when they lived in Minnesota.
The winery currently employs the entire Wilson family (aside from the little ones) and even the family dogs Chianti, Cristal and AJ. If a family atmosphere is what Rosie and Gerry Wilson wanted, they certainly achieved it with their Wilson Creek winery.
About the Wilson Creek Winery Temecula
Here's what you can expect to see while visiting the Wilson Creek winery:
- The tasting room - Open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. For a small fee, you get to taste the winery's wares and kept your tasting glass as a souvenir of the occasion.
- The vineyards - Wilson has over 70 acres of planted vineyards on its grounds. Head wine master Etienne Cowper can often be found among the employees pruning the grapevines. As a matter of fact, most all the work pertaining to the growing, caring and harvesting of the grapes is done by hand at Wilson Creek.
- The Creekside Grille - Chef Blake a delicious, unpretentious menu for the restaurant. The items on Creekside's menu are often inspired by the products which the chef can buy within the local area.
Wilson Creek Temecula Varietals
Wilson Creek has a good selection of wine, some of them a bit out-of-the-ordinary.
- Estate Cabernet - This balanced red offers nuanced flavors of currants and plums.
- Estate Zinfandel - Dubbed "Bold" by the Wilson family, this Zin has dark berry and cherry flavors.
- Merlot - A full bodied merlot with hints or rich, ripe berries.
- Mourvedre - This wine exhibits dark cherry flavors and herbaceous aromas with a hint of sandalwood.
- Family Legacy Red Blend - A blend of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Petite Verdot, Cabernet Franc and Malbec.
- "You Bet Shiraz" - This medium bodied shiraz (if you say the name fast, you'll get the joke) is a bit peppery and earthy with hints of dried fruit.
- Estate Syrah - Not quite as peppery as the Shiraz, this Syrah displays hints of vanilla and dark cherries in its flavor characteristics. There is also just a slight hint of oak in the finish.
- Estate Chardonnay "Rosemary's Vineyard" - This Chardonnay displays warm hints of vanilla and hazelnut while offering a crisp and clean finish.
- Estate Sauvignon Blanc - Citrus flavors and floral aromas permeate this Sauvignon Blanc.
- Muscat Canelli - A fruity Muscat with a honeyed finish.
- Viognier - A wine with forward tropical fruit flavors and a light, crisp finish.
- White Cabernet - Different colored wine made with the same grape. The White Cabernet offered by Wilson Creek is much lighter, fruitier and less tannic then it's dark and brooding counterpart.
- Almond Champagne - The family adds a tiny bit of pure almond to this sparkling wine to give it its flavors.
Visiting Wilson Creek Winery Temecula
Before you visit the tasting room in the winery, you may want to call in advance as they do close the room on occasion for private parties. Otherwise, if you're planning a tour through California wine country and want to add Wilson Creek to your list, be sure you make it a day trip. Both the tasting room and the restaurant close at 5 p.m..
The winery itself is pretty centrally located as it is about an hour outside of San Diego and Orange County and about an hour and a half outside of Los Angeles.