Wine and Health
The link between wine and health continues to be a highly debated topic. With so much information out there, it's sometimes difficult to decide if wine positively or negatively affects your health.
Wine and Health Benefits
Wondering if wine is healthy? Well…yes and no. There are many chemical components to wine that benefit the human body like:
- Protecting blood vessels - Polyphenol compounds in wine help to prevent damage of the protective tissue around blood vessels.
- Preventing arterial plaque build up - The anti-oxidants in wine help to prevent the build-up of the arterial plaque that can lead to heart disease.
- Raising HDL levels - HDL cholesterol is the "good" cholesterol. Studies have shown that regular, moderate consumption of wine raises HDL cholesterol levels.
The only time wine consumption negatively affects your health is when you imbibe a bit too much. If you overindulge to a point of intoxication, this negates the health benefits of wine.
To learn help you learn a bit more about wine and health, check out these informative, easy to read articles:
- Health Benefits of Red Wine - A slideshow with tidbits of information on the many benefits of red wine.
- Wine Health Risks - Learn about some of the risks of drinking wine.
- Wine Calories - For those of you who want to know exactly how many calories are in that glass of Cab or Chard.
- Resveratrol Levels in Wine - Get a little more information about the often talked about resveratrol in wine.