Franzia is an immediately recognizable name in the wine industry. The wine giant is known for producing value-priced box wines found on grocery store shelves and in liquor stores virtually anywhere you shop. Whether you like red wine, white wine, or rosé (blush wine), you're sure to find an affordable Franzia wine that's right for you.
Advantage of Franzia's Box Wines
One of the key advantages of Franzia's wines is their affordability. Franzia's wine comes in boxes sized 1.5 liters (50 ounces or 10 5-ounce glasses of wine) 3 liters (101 ounces or about 20 5-ounce glasses of wine) or 5 liters (169 ounces, or about 35 5-ounce glasses of wine). Expect to pay less than $15 for the 5-liter container or around $11 for the 3-liter box. This makes Franzia one of the world's most affordable wines at under $0.50 per glass.
Reduced Carbon Footprint
According to Franzia, consuming their bag-in-a-box wines can reduce your carbon footprint both in transportation and packaging. The packaging is recyclable and saves on both bottles and corks.
Franzia Wines Stay Fresh Longer After Opening
Likewise, due to their packaging innovation, Franzia wines will stay fresh in their boxes for up to six weeks after opening. This is far longer than other types of bottled wine that stay fresh for just a few days after opening.
Easy to Store and Dispense
The size and shape of Franzia's boxes make them fit easily on cupboard and refrigerator shelves. Likewise, the taps on the boxes make dispensing easy with just a touch of a button.
Franzia wines are made for consistency from batch to batch, which means you know what to expect any time you tap into a box. This differs from other wines which may vary in consistency from vintage to vintage due to weather, winemaking, and more.
Wines From Franzia
Franzia offers an array of red, white, and blush wines including some unique choices.
Franzia offers multiple red wines in 1.5 and 5 liter boxes.
- Chillable red is a light, fruity red that comes in 1.5 and 5 liter sizes. It's a non-varietal blend of California red wine grapes that's moderately sweet with slightly more body than a blush wine.
- Dark red blend is a dry, full-bodied red blend. Franzia doesn't specify the grapes that go into this blend, however, it has been awarded Gold at the LA International Wine Competition, and critics tend to find it a nicely drinkable, consistent wine.
- Cabernet Sauvignon is a dry red with plum and cherry notes. It received accolades as a great value wine at the 2018 Ultimate Wine Challenge.
- Chianti from Franzia is not the same as Chianti from Italy. Franzia's Chianti is a medium-bodied, off-dry red blend featuring Sangiovese and other unspecified grapes.
- Fruity red sangria is Franzia's take on the Spanish wine punch. It's medium-bodied and sweet with refreshing citrus notes.
- Merlot won Franzia a bronze medal at the 2018 International Wine Competition. It's a soft, dry red with aromas of raspberries and blackberries.
- Pinot Noir-Carménère is an interesting blend of two different grape varietals. It's a light-bodied, medium-dry red with blackberry aromas.
- Burgundy from Franzia isn't the same as a French Burgundy. Rather, it's a full-bodied, medium-sweet red wine blend with lots of fruit.
Franzia's white wines range from crisp and dry to sweet. They also make varietals and unspecified blends.
- Chablis from Franzia shouldn't be mistaken with French Chablis. It is an unspecified blend of white wine grapes with a medium body, medium-dryness, and hints of citrus and pears.
- Rich & Buttery Chardonnay is an oaked Chardonnay that is medium-dry and full-bodied.
- Chardonnay is a crisp varietal that is medium-bodied and semi dry.
- Crisp White is an unspecified white wine blend that's fruity and floral. It's medium-bodied and lightly sweet.
- Pinot Grigio-Columbard is a blend of these two white wine grapes. It is light-bodied and dry.
- Moscato was recognized as a great value at the 2018 Ultimate Wine Challenge. It's a light bodied, sweet wine.
- Refreshing white is an unspecified blend of white wine grapes. It's medium bodied and balanced between dry and sweet.
Franzia also offers a line of pink wines.
- Sunset blush is a semi-sweet blush wine that's a blend of unspecified grapes. Expect delicate strawberry flavors.
- Rosé is light-bodied, crisp, and medium dry. It's made from an unspecified blend of grapes and has berry and peach notes.
- Pink Moscato is a medium-bodied blush wine with a balance of sweet and dry.
- White Merlot is a semi-dry blush of Merlot wine with flavors of raspberry.
- White Zinfandel is a blush wine made from California Zinfandel grapes. It's light-bodied and moderately sweet.
Franzia is owned by wine megacorporation, The Wine Group. The company began making wines in the early 1900s, and the wines were named after the winemakers. In 1973, the Franzia family sold the business to Coca-Cola, and it became known for making mass-produced jug wines. In 1981, the Wine Group purchased the company, and they introduced Franzia's current bag in a box style of wines to the mass market.
Affordable Wines From Franzia
Franzia wines are decent quality wines from the price, and there are other advantages to choosing boxed wines as well. If you're looking for a decent, consistent every day drinker, there's likely a Franzia boxed wine that will meet your needs.